EDWIN RHODES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2015-2016 Smarter Balance State Testing
Beginning Tuesday, April 12, 2016, students in grades 3 – 6 will take the State test, Smarter Balanced Third, fourth, fifth and sixth grades have been practicing for this test. The tests will be administered in both computer labs between the hours of 8:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Each classroom has been assigned a set number of days for testing. However, schedules are subject to change.
Here are some things to help your child do his/her best on the Smarter Balanced Test:
- Please make sure your child is present unless ill, and is not late for school. Do not make appointments that will have your child arriving late or leaving during the testing times.
- Help your child feel more confident about taking the test. Express confidence in your child's ability to do well. Perhaps share a happy, personal experience related to testing with your child.
- Have a relaxed environment. Avoid any activities and conversations that may arouse anxiety, conflict, or unpleasantness
- Have your child go to bed early enough to get plenty of rest.
- Set your alarm clock a little early in order to allow your child time to eat and dress without rushing. See that clothes your child likes and feels comfortable in are laid out so frantic searches are avoided.
- Be sure needed school materials are together and located where they will not be forgotten in the morning so your child is not feeling disorganized the morning of the test.
- Prepare a good breakfast including protein and complex carbohydrates for your child.
- If your child wears glasses, be sure he/she has them at school on test days.
To provide the most conducive testing environment for all students, there will be no interruptions to the classroom between 8:45 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on the testing days in your child’s classroom. Late students will remain in the office, and students being tested will not be pulled out of class.
If you want to see what types of questions students will be asked or how the test will be presented, there is a practice test available online at http://www.smarterbalanced.org/parents/.We will also be having a Smarter Balanced Night for Rhodes parents (grades 3-6) on Monday, April 18 at 6:00 pm in the Student Union.
If you have any questions regarding your child’s participation, please contact Dean Haney at (909) 364-0683.
Thank you for your support in helping your child do his/her best on the state test.
Edwin Rhodes Staff