WELCOME TO MRS. PALACIOS's ENGLISH CLASS!
***DUE TO THE COVID SITUATION, SCHOOLS HAVE CONVERTED TO DISTANCE/ONLINE LEARNING. PLEASE SEE YOUR STAFF FOR YOUR ACCOUNT LOGINS AND/OR EXTRA PACKET WORK.
MY STUDENTS HAVE THE OPTIONS TO DO THE FOLLOWING ASSIGNMENTS:
- My Video Lessons - 15 lessons with notes = 1 credit; correlating assignments count for additional credit
- Magazine Packet - 1 credit. Please write thorough answers in complete sentences.
- Essays - 1 credit. Choose 5 essays from the topics list. Follow the essay guideline for structure.
- Vocabulary and Reading/Grammar Packets - 15 pages = 1 credit. Dictionary may be needed.
- A+ COMPUTER PROGRAM (by request only) - Use A+ Shortcut on my page (A+ Access)
- ** IMPORTANT: See additional instructions for A+ on the side link and bottom notes.
**IMPORTANT: The A+ study time is 5 minutes. The practice test will not open until the study time has been completed. You must pass the practice test with an 80% or the mastery test will not open. The passing score for mastery, unit, and course exam is 70%. You can not skip the essay portions. The program will not let you move to the next topic unless essays are completed. You will not see an apple on essays after completion. But do not worry. I am grading those remotely. Each Unit is a credit. Essays and Course Exam must be completed.
Although I am away from the classroom, please know that I care about my students and their credits. Students must also do their part to complete the homework that has been provided! I will be grading and inputting credits as soon as you complete the work.
I am also available to be contacted via email, phone/Facetime, and Zoom if students need more instruction. Please ask staff to make contact.
Thank you for your attention!
ENGLISH-LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS focuses on Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking standards. We focus primarily on reading for information and character development, three types of writing: narrative, informative/expository, and argument with an emphasis on annotating and extracting evidence from the text. Students will do occassional speeches and presentations in class.
Videos relevant to reading units:
Documentaries: Holocaust, Anne Frank, LA Riots, Freeom Riders, A Place to Stand, 9/11
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Speech
Current Events Topics
Character lessons: The Pursuit of Happyness, Lean on Me, Stand and Deliver, Freedom Writers, A Raisin in the Sun, The Blind Side
Thematic: Edgar Allen Poe's Tell-Tale Heart, The Monkey's Paw and the Simpson's version, A Christmas Carol