Did you know that the number of overweight children in California has reached epidemic levels? Childhood obesity increases the risk of serious medical conditions, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease and, as a result, puts our community at risk for tremendous human and economic costs. As a community, we must be concerned about childhood obesity and begin to work together to resolve the problem.
Recognizing that healthy, well-nourished children are better able to learn, the Chino Valley Unified School District Board of Education adopted a Wellness Policy on April 6, 2006. The Wellness Policy was developed using recommendations from the California Department of Education and the federal Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004. A Wellness Committee was formed to oversee the implementation of the Wellness Policy at all District schools. The mission of the Wellness Committee is to improve the health and well-being of our school community by creating a variety of educational opportunities for students, which will lead them to develop life-long healthy eating habits and physical activity.
Key Components of the Wellness Policy
• Foods and beverages sold during school hours must meet nutritional standards set by federal and state government
• The sale of soft drinks, candy and other items that do not meet nutritional standards are not allowed during the school day
• Schools are encouraged to have a “healthy foods” day and to avoid using treats as rewards
• Parents are encouraged to provide a healthy snack as treats for parties, and one healthy option in addition to any item that does not meet the nutritional guidelines
• Teachers are asked to hold classroom parties after lunch
• Nutritional content requirements for all foods sold in schools will limit fat, sugar and calorie content
• Appropriate nutrition education will be integrated into of academic areas such as math, science and language arts
• Schools will provide a physical and social environment that encourages safe and enjoyable physical activity for all students
• Students will be encouraged to exercise within their ability, in order to develop and maintain physically active lifestyles
• Students will be encouraged to start each with a healthy breakfast
• Quality physical activity will be integrated, where possible, across all content areas and throughout the school day
• The District will invest resources to provide qualified physical education teachers and equipment to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment
The Chino Valley Unified School District joins with our families and community to support healthy lifestyle choices for food and fitness because we recognize the important connection between a healthy diet and a student’s ability to learn effectively. To meet the high achievement standards in school, Chino Valley Unified School District understands the school’s role in creating an environment that fosters healthy nutrition and quality physical activity. The following resources are provided to motivate families as they take action to adopt a healthier lifestyle.