Ms. Wagner’s Virtual Classroom Syllabus
7th Grade English Language Arts
The goal of English is to create an environment where learning is interactive, dynamic, and fun. You will be responsible for a variety of collaborative assignments, daily work, special projects, writing activities, essays, and occasional quizzes. Together, we will promote communication, critical thinking, creativity, discovery, and teamwork. A safe and comfortable learning environment will allow students to achieve success. Students should feel free to ask questions and I am always willing to help you find the answers.
Students will focus on comprehension and analytical reading skills through the study of a variety of authors and genres. Students will learn how successful readers think and visualize when they read, interact with, and examine text. In writing, students will focus on narrative, expository, and argumentative writing. This course is aligned to the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts.
Materials for Class:
Students will need a device (laptop/desktop/tablet or cell phone) to access online curriculum through Teams. They will also need their Close Reader as well as their Collections textbook (both materials can be found online through Classlink under “My HRW”).
- All students will be logged in to Teams on time.
- All students will be actively and appropriately participating in class.
- All students will complete and turn in their assignments (classwork and homework) on time.
- All students will respect other classmates and their opinions.
- All students will show responsibility and work to their greatest potential at all times.
- All students will work with honesty and integrity in completion of their learning.
Progressive Discipline will be followed. Remember: Be Respectful. Be Responsible. Be Safe.
Students are responsible for making up missed work. You will need to review any notes and assignments that were completed. If you have a question, you may either attend office hours or send an email about a specific assignment. Students are allowed one class day per day missed to complete and turn in missed work.
- Class will use Teams and One Note daily.
- Students need to be logged on at the start of class with camera on and audio muted.
Work submission and Feedback:
- Students will submit assignments through Teams and One Note by due dates stated.
- Grades will be posted in Aeries.
- Assessments will be distributed through Teams.
Occasionally, videos rated PG and PG-13 will be shown to further enhance the lessons in class. Student presentations will also be recorded for evaluation, reflection, and assessment. If you have any concerns or questions as a parent regarding above matter, please notify me through email.
Grades are divided into the following categories:
- Formative (Classwork/Homework) 40%
- Summative (Test/Projects/Essays/Quizzes/Performance and Culminating Tasks) 60%
All students’ final grades will be computed on the following scale:
- 100% - 90% = A
- 80% - 89% = B
- 70% - 79% = C
- 60% - 69% = D
- 59% or below = F
You will be notified of your student’s grade status through progress report cards throughout the year. Please look for them. If the report indicates a “Fail” or “in danger of failing,” you must intervene immediately if you want to assure that your child has any possibility of passing. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me .
When emailing me, please make sure to include your name, period, and assignment name in the subject line. Please do not type your question in the subject line, but rather in the body of the email. This will make it easier for me to respond more efficiently. I will respond as swiftly as I can.
Virtual Office Hours:
These are the hours which I will be available, live, on Microsoft Teams, for questions regarding assignments, schedules, and other schoolwork concerns. Sign into Teams and select the 'Office Hours' team. You will need to click on the link to join the meeting in order to see and communicate with me.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 1:45 pm-2:30 pm
Wednesdays and Fridays: 7:45 am-8:30 am