WELCOME TO MRS. PALACIOS's ENGLISH CLASS!
I LOOK FORWARD TO A WONDERFUL SCHOOL YEAR!
AT THIS TIME WE ARE BACK TO IN-PERSON INSTRUCTION!! NO MORE ZOOM! WOO-HOO!
Thank you for your attention!
DURING DISTANCE LEARNING, MY STUDENTS HAVE THE OPTIONS TO DO THE FOLLOWING ASSIGNMENTS:
- My Video Lessons - lessons with notes; correlating assignments count for additional credit = 1+credits
- Magazine Packet - 1 credit. Please write thorough answers in complete sentences.
- Biographies (pink) 6 = 1 credit
- Reading Comprehension Packets (blue) 1 packet = 1/2 credit
- Essays - 1 credit. Choose 5 essays from the topics list. Follow the essay guideline for structure.
- Vocabulary and Reading/Grammar Packets - 15 pages = 1 credit. Dictionary may be needed.
- APEX COMPUTER PROGRAM (by request only)
ENGLISH-LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS focuses on Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking standards. We focus primarily on reading for information and character development, three types of writing: narrative, informative/expository, and argument with an emphasis on annotating and extracting evidence from the text. Students will do occassional speeches and presentations in class.
Videos relevant to reading units:
Documentaries: Holocaust, Anne Frank, LA Riots, Freeom Riders, A Place to Stand, 9/11
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Speech
Current Events Topics
Character lessons: The Pursuit of Happyness, Lean on Me, Stand and Deliver, Freedom Writers, A Raisin in the Sun, The Blind Side
Thematic: Edgar Allen Poe's Tell-Tale Heart, The Monkey's Paw and the Simpson's version, A Christmas Carol