EXCUSED AND UNEXCUSED ABSENCES
All absences are legally interpreted as being "excused" or "unexcused." (EC48205(a) A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
- Due to his or her illness
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services for a member of the immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted outside of California
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided by law
- Due to illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent
- For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his religion, attendance at an employment conference, or attending an educational religious retreat
Unexcused absences which violate the education code are oversleeping, missing a ride to school, caring for others in the family, shopping, paying fines, studying, car trouble, vacation, visiting friends or relatives, lack of clothing, etc.
REPORTING AN ABSENCE
Parents/ Guardians are required to notify the school daily when their student is absent for any reason. This may be done in one of the following ways:
- You can use our online Absence Notification Form. If you are using a computer, go to the Ramona website, and click on the PARENT tab located in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down and click on Report an Absence. Then click on the Absence Notification Form. If you are using a cellphone, click on the Ramona News and Headlines tab, and click on Attendance just below the Attendance Counts image, then click on the Absence Notification Form. Click on done, when you have entered all the information.
- You can call the Ramona Jr. High School office to report the absence at (909) 627-9144. If you call after hours, please leave a message with your child's name and grade, the date and reason for the absence, and your name, relation to the student, and contact number.
- You can send an absence note with the student on the day he/she returns to school. The note should include the same information as above. Notes should be turned in to the office before school, during lunch, or after school.
**A student's absence will not be cleared without submission of the above information.**
Unverified absences are considered truancies.
If it has been a long-term absence or a contagious disease,a written release must be brought from the doctor clearing the student to return to school.
California State law states that verification of an absence must be completed within (5) school days of the student’s return to school. On the sixth day, the absence becomes a truancy and cannot be changed.You may also report an absence by sending an email to our Attendance Clerk at: email@example.com