2/24/2021 -- READ180 Clarification
READ180 modules are scored as students do their work, it is an “independent-study”-ish program. The reason for those “TmpExc” marks is because some students are ahead of others and I must include all scores in Aeries. The “TmpExc” means temporarily excused and they do NOT hurt anyone's grade - nor do they help them.
Some students have not been in my class long enough to have completed these modules, while others have decided not to, so the modules are waiting for them to complete them. All of these Read180 modules will be following each student into the 3rd-trimester, where (I hope) they will finish them thereby improving their overall grade in my class.
1/6/2021 - Revised Homework/Classwork Policy
Starting today (1/6/2021) and continuing for the remainder of the year, late work will still be accepted.
However, all late work will be dropped a grade per day late. After three days, the assignment will receive no more (but no less) than a 60% score when completed.
Dear Students and Parents,
Next week, Monday, September 28, is our eighth week of school and I am changing my late-work- acceptance policy:
For the remainder of the year, I am NOT automatically searching Google Classroom or any other platforms for late assignments to add to your grades. Rather, you have to take the initiative and email me when you are submitting a LATE assignment. Remember to use email etiquette to respectfully request a correction in your grade.
We have closed the book on the first 6-week progress report (available now on Aeries Parent Portal or coming to your mailbox in about two weeks). Now we are approaching the end of the 1st-trimester in October. Keep up on your grades.
Mr. Callaci ELA
My Virtual Office Hours are:
Tuesday (open): 7:45 - 8:30
Wednesday (individual/by appointment): 7:45 - 8:30
Thursday (open): 1:45 - 2:30
Friday (individual/by appointment) 1:45 - 2:30
For safety considerations, the OPEN Office Hours link will be posted to your child's Google Stream on the day of the office hours. To access, use your child's Google Classroom page.
Appointments will be arranged through email or phone call (909)591-2161
I will respond to emails within 24 hours (business days)
Welcome to Mr. Callaci's Distance Learning Classroom!
Read 180/ELA Intervention
Attendance is MANDATORY every Google Meet day!
We will be using Google Classroom to post and submit Electronic assignments. Each student will be joined to a Google Classroom automatically (or will receive an access code to enter the class that will be sent to your student email.) If you have any difficulties email me, ASAP.
Click here for:
Welcome to 7th or 8th Grade English Language Arts! I am very excited to start another wonderful year here at Townsend. I know there will be many challenges as we embark on this distance learning experience, but I also know that by working together, we will make this a successful year.
I am committed to responding to all student and parent emails within 24 hours on weekdays. I will respond to emails Monday - Friday, until 4:00 pm.
Click tab on the left to view my Distance Learning Syllabus. For your convenience, scroll to the bottom to see our Distance Learning School year schedule.
Contacting the teacher (options):
- Ask questions via the Feed in Google Classroom
- Email: email@example.com
- I will respond to emails and Google Classroom comments, Monday - Friday, until 4:00 pm. Extended hours will be provided when projects and assessments are due.
Virtual Office Hours:
- I am available during office hours Tuesday/Wednesday 7:45-8:30AM, and Thursday/Friday 1:15- 2:30PM to answer questions face-to-face if needed. Please reference your class period's Google Classroom to obtain the Google Meeting Code for drop-in Office Hours.
- I will respond to emails within 24 hours, Monday - Friday, until 4:00 pm.
- Students, only use your district- issued school email account to communicate with me: (firstname.lastname@example.org). This ensures that I will receive your email without any technical problems. Contact me immediately if you do not know your school username and password.
- Google Classroom will be used to post assignments. You will submit your assignments using Google Classroom.
- Each student will receive an access code (via the district-issued school email account) to enter your Google classrooms. If you have any questions or difficulties, email me right away.
- Use Classlink to access your Google Classrooms: https://launchpad.classlink.com/chino
- Check Google Classroom daily for announcements, assignment information, and updates.
- Read everything carefully. Then, read it again.
- Click “Turn In” when you are ready to submit your assignment.
- DO NOT submit photos of your completed assignments.
- I am using Google Classroom as my communication, assignment, and collection portal; Your grades will be posted in Aeries.
Things to remember for Distance Learning 2.0:
- Daily attendance is required. Every student is required to be online daily with cameras on; microphone muted.
- When it is a day that you are not "in" class, an attendance question/assignment will be posted and you MUST answer it to receive attendance credit for that day!
- Check Google Classroom EVERY day. There will be assignments daily Monday through Friday.
- Students, only use your district- issued school email account to communicate with me and during: (email@example.com). This ensures that I will receive your email without any technical problems.
- Parents and Students, please check the Google Classroom “Upcoming” box frequently to confirm assignments and due dates.
Online Behavior Expectations (Norms)
BE SAFE – Speak calmly and use kind words. Sit upright, in a chair, at a desk or table.
BE RESPECTFUL – Raise your hand if you have a question or to notify the teacher that you need to leave your seat. Discuss grades and grade questions privately with the teacher after class. Listen to new or differing ideas with an open mind. Be prepared to meet and work with new people without judgement or complaint. Be kind to everyone.
BE RESPONSIBLE – Be on time, with your camera on, and your microphone muted. Check the class website daily. Format emails properly. Write neatly and legibly. Complete all of your work. Focus on your own work. Work until the end of the period; until you are dismissed. Participate in class discussions.
*Remember, I can see everything, so be respectful and responsible online, just as you are expected to do in person and in the classroom. On the Internet, one leaves an un-erasable digital "foot-print."
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.
Further information will follow as soon as possible; notice of further information will also be posted to Google Classroom.
I look forward to meeting all of you soon, first over the computer and then face to face.