Alternative Education Center
Preston R. Carr, Ed.D., Director
Per the announcement from Superintendent, Dr. Norm Enfield, the afternoon of Wednesday, April 1, 2020, CVUSD’s 35 campuses will remain closed to in-person learning and teaching for the remainder of the 2019/2020 school year. If you have questions about your student’s Distance Learning Classroom, be sure to contact your student’s teacher. Contact information for all teaching staff is located on each individual teacher’s classroom website.
Very important: All students, please ensure that you can login into your District (school) email account. Given that you will be doing your work online you will need access to your school email. Families, please verify with your students that they know how to login to their school email accounts. Instructions are posted here.
You should have been receiving emails, telephone messages, and/or texts from CVUSD this past week. We understand that some email servers have perceived these messages as spam, and these messages may have not been received. Please note that all communications are also accessible in your Aeries Parent Portal.
Traditional Distance Learning (Online) Summer School Updates (no fees, for CVUSD students only): As of Friday, April 3, 2020 the following changes have been made (Traditional Distance Learning [Online] Summer School flyer)
- Traditional (on-campus) Summer School is cancelled for all elementary and middle school students for general education classes.
- Traditional Summer school will continue for high school students for general education classes in a distance learning (online) format.
- Extended School Year (ESY) for elementary students will continue in a distance learning (online) format.
- ESY for junior high school students will continue in a distance learning (online) format.
- ESY for high school students will continue in a distance learning (online) format.
California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) Online Summer School: All informational meetings were held online Saturday, April 4, 2020. Courses are open to CVUSD and non-CVUSD students. Click on the link to the flyer for registration information. (CSUSB Flyer)
- NOTE: Students, if you missed the webinar orientation held on Saturday, April 4, 2020, you will meet your teacher online the first day of CSUSB Online Summer School. Students will receive their login and password prior to the start of classes. Students, be sure you review the Power Point presentation that is posted on the link to the flyer above prior to completing registration. To register for courses, go to the CSUSB website
Chaffey College Online Summer School: All informational meetings will be held online Tuesday, April 7, 2020 and Saturday, April 11, 2020. Courses are open to CVUSD and non-CVUSD students. Click on the link to the flyer for the Go To Meeting webinar links and registration information. (Chaffey Flyer)
Credit Recovery Update: The start date Credit Recovery Session #4 has been changed to start on Monday, March 30, 2020 with all students being given access to online learning. The Alternative Education Center (AEC) is reaching out to students who were registered for Credit Recovery Session #4 and notifying them of the change. On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 the Credit Recovery teachers were provided an online informational meeting, online instructions and training dates.
Classes for this revised version of Credit Recovery Session #4 will begin on Monday, March 30, 2020 and will end on Friday, May 1, 2020 (5-week session).
As is standard practice, students will be notified by AEC staff regarding Credit Recovery, but the new information regarding the shift from the traditional credit recovery format (also known as packet work) to the online format will be emphasized in the communications to this group.
- Students will be notified of Credit Recovery updates via email, phone blasts, and the Chino Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) AEC website.
- Students will receive login information for the online platform and orientations prior to Monday, March 30, 2020.
May Day Updates: We are still on-task for May Day as the last possible time a current high school senior can take a course under the guidelines of Independent Study (IS). Select students will be given the chance to complete math, science, social science, English, or any other course for the purpose of meeting graduation requirements. Seniors must have previously failed the course or be behind on credits to obtain a May Day course under this last possible senior ADA period. Site High School Counselors will email the AEC_Counseling@chino.k12.ca.us with their requests between Thursday, April 16, 2020 to Thursday, April 23, 2020.
Work Permit Update: Contact the Secondary Curriculum and Instruction (Click Here) for assistance with obtaining a work permit.
Home & Hospital Update: The Home & Hospital services start time has changed to begin on Monday, March 30, 2020 with all teachers equipped with the CVUSD distance learning plan. Our teachers will be using the GoToMeeting platform for virtual meetings with their students. The teachers have been provided information during our online meeting that was held on Tuesday, March 18, 2020.
Note: All coursework has been designed to alleviate stress and lessons have been modified keeping COVID-19 as a reminder to teach with Humility, Civility, and Service in mind.
This site was last updated April 9th, 2020 4:02 PM