February 19, 2021


     Dear CVUSD Parents and Guardians:

    The Board of Education at their regular meeting last night discussed the reopening of elementary schools as soon as Wednesday, March 3, 2021 for an in-person, Blended Learning model for grades Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through 6. Under the State’s new Consolidated Schools Guidance, elementary schools may reopen for in-person instruction after a county in Purple Tier status sustains an Adjusted Case Rate for COVID-19 that is below 25 cases per 100,000 for five consecutive days. As of today, the County of San Bernardino fulfills the five-day requirement to reopen elementary schools. These new guidelines only apply to TK-6. Secondary schools are not eligible to reopen for in-person learning until the County is officially in the Red Tier status for five consecutive days. 

    On February 23, 2021 at 4 p.m. the Board of Education will conduct a Special Board meeting to vote on the reopening of elementary schools. The Board also requested that a second action item be placed on the agenda regarding the reopening of secondary schools for in-person Blended Learning when San Bernardino County is in the Red Tier status.

    As a reminder, families who selected the Distance Learning model will remain in Distance Learning for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. Families who selected the in-person Blended Learning model will transition to in-person learning should the Board of Education take action to reopen elementary schools. Families in Cal Aero Preserve Academy will receive a separate communication with information that applies specifically to learning models and start dates.

    Should the Board of Education vote to reopen elementary schools for in-person learning, the District and schools are prepared with appropriate COVID safety measures and Personal Protective Equipment as recommended by the California Department of Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The District prepared a COVID-19 Safety Plan Guidelines for Reopening Our Schools that has been posted on our District website COVID-19 webpage and can be directly accessed here:

    COVID-19 Safety Plan Guidelines for Reopening our Schools (chino.k12.ca.us) 

    You will receive updated information on the Board’s decision after the Special Board meeting on February 23, 2021. I invite you to watch the Special Board meeting live here:



    Norm Enfield, Ed.D.